Knit Picks is offering three outstanding tutorials on felting our wools. Two are PDF tutorials and one is a video. Knit Picks sells wonderful felting yarns and also has free knit patterns. It is an excellent site for all of us yarn junkies. There are many different ways to felt animal fibers. Choose a yarn that is predominately made of animal hair fibers (wool, alpaca, mohair, etc) and wash it with agitation and changes in water temperature. Super wash wools have been specially treated so they will not felt. Plant based yarns (such as cotton or linen), silk, and acrylic yarns also will not felt. When you felt a yarn, you lose your stitch definition. Felting is a great project for beginners, because all of your mistakes will disappear when you felt your project!
By Linda Lanese
- Hand felting video, how to felt without using a washer
- New colors for fall, felting yarns at Knit Picks and Hat design
- Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Yarn Sale
- Felting yarn sale @ Artisan Yarns!
- Knit Pick’s sale on felting yarn